Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Last garden tour of 2012

September 19th was a chilly rainy day. Also, it was our last garden tour of the summer of 2012. This garden had been inspired by a trip to China and the great wall. 



I absolutely love this weeping tree.  The owners know absolutely no names of anything really in their garden. They plant for their enjoyment and what appeals to them.
Several of their beds are mulched with these tumbled rounded smooth stones.





I of course loved the vibrant colours in this planter.


 These large pebbles have all been dipped in a sealant to keep their wet look...and then individually placed in this bed.




Under this tree the stones are actually placed in a "fish scale" arrangement.


The wife made a comment one day that they one thing they didn't have in their garden was a water element.... She came home to find her husband was building her one!  This waterfall totally blocks out the sounds of traffic from the road.

 There is no grass to be mowed in this back yard.. Its all plants, water feature and stone work.

Both of the gardeners have parents who are musicians... this deck is inspired by a grand piano

They also have a love of dogs....these statues out on the front deck give you an idea of their breed
this is their  Great Dane.

This is their Westie

This is where one of their dogs has found its final resting place... this tree was just planted when the dog died....and a single flower came on the tree right after the dog was laid to rest.... They have made a memory stone and the stones again are hand dipped in sealant and lovingly placed one by one in a fish scale pattern.....

This Picture has hit home with me as my own dog Binx is now 15... he's lived an amazing life and has been a wonderful companion... He has cancer that is now really growing rapidly.. At this time he is "comfortable" and I cherish every day, week .... perhaps months that I have left with him.. He will not be allowed to be in pain or suffer... I have promised him that! I have already made his "Memory stone" with his paw prints in it... Its a hard thing to do to sit and prepare for something like this. Binx follows me around the garden as I work though and I know that he will have his final resting place somewhere in my garden too.... and I actually just think I thought of the perfect place!....
Thankfully.... I do not have to deal with that.... today..

Thanks for stopping by and whatever you do this weekend...
Make it
AWESOME

3 comments:

  1. I love this garden! The stones really add interest and beauty. However, I must say that the previous owners of our home used river rock in the border gardens and trying to dig to plant anything is next to impossible until you remove the rock. 20 some years later, when digging in some areas it's still quite laborious due to all the remaining river rock. Best wishes with your dog. Enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your waterfall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand piano deck—how creative! I can tell these people love to garden. What a lot of work to individually lay stones. I enjoyed the tour very much.

    I am sorry to hear of your dog’s illness.

    ReplyDelete